From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 09:29:37 EST
I had a recent situation where there was a slim chance that my house had
been exposed to ADV.  I decided to use United, not so much because I
didn't trust the Avecon test, but because they had all been tested with
the Avecon test more recently than the United test.  In light of recent
results from other shelters and owners, I decided to see if I would end
up with the same mixed bag.  I'm pleased to say that I didn't, and all of
my results from both tests match and are negative.  Here is the scoop in
more detail...

I sent in blood to United last week on every ferret in my home.  All 24
came back negative.  All 24 have also tested negative at least once on
the Avecon saliva test.

Of the 24, 12 had previously tested negative on the United test at least
one other time.

Of the 24, 16 have been tested by Avecon, always by saliva but on both
tests (the ELISA and POCT) and were always negative.  In four cases they
have been tested four or more times each, and each time they tested
negative.

The ferret who has been in my house the longest has been tested numerous
times (I've lost count, but a dozen or more) with all three (United,
Avecon POCT and Avecon Elisa) and has always tested negative.

If anyone wants more info, feel free to ask.

Anne