From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 22:43:08 -0600
I may be in the minority, but it's hard to understand, given what we
already know is a controversial subject across the nation (the ownership
and advocacy of ferrets as pets), that folks would choose to resolve this
adoption issue in the media as I've read was attempted via the Judge Mills
Lane Show.  Does anyone know what these shows are about?  I realize that
the intentions were good and the reimbursement of legal fees is important,
but these shows are for the COMMON PERSON WHO WANTS TO BE ENTERTAINED!!!
The show is created to make the "bad" look REALLY bad and the "good" look
great!!  They are not intended to inform or educate ANYONE.  So, while I
feel bad for Jean and for the precedent it may set (if any), I don't
understand why anyone would have expected it to turn out differently.  If
anything, we've lost the opportunity to truly educate and re-train the
public about ferrets and ferret owners.  My advice would be to clearly
avoid any arena in which the stereotype of our pets and ourselves is, or
has the clear potential of being, distorted, or even worse, used to further
the mainstream( ignorant) status quo.  These shows do nothing but that, no
matter what the topic.