From:
Kristen Dixie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:37:07 -0400
Annoyed talks about the value of life and how people on this board go
overboard b/c they consider their ferrets [and other pets] to be very
important in their lives and to deserve the high level of love and care
that they receive.  She [or so her post makes her sound] believes that a
child's life is more important than a pets.

I can understand that - when you are that particular child's parent.
However, as a 22 year old university student who is [thankfully!] not yet
a mother, all I have is my pets who rely on me.  And I would easily lay
down my own life to save theirs.  The question that I am really aching
to have answered is this: if a life is a life is a life, then why does
it matter what form that life comes in?  Why, just b/c we are "top of
the animal chain" does that mean that we feel more or deserve more?  My
family/friends all think that I am so crazy b/c I am so diehard about
animals.  But really, how is that any different then being passionate
about children's rights or women's rights?  In all cases we fight for
those whom we feel are being harassed and mistreated and who are
incapable, for whatever reason, to fight back.  It's understandable that
each person would place their most cherished loved ones at the top of
their 'priority' list but...why do those who are at the top have to be
human?  Why can't they be a beloved dog, cat, ferret, bird, fish, horse,
etc?  A bond of love is strong and unbreakable, so why do we insist that
some are less important and that they should be broken simply b/c that
bond isn't shared between two humans?  I'm sorry for the length but this
is a topic that is true to my heart and I get so much grief for caring so
passionately for animals that I always feel the strongest need to argue
my reasons.  Life is life.  What else matters?

- kristen -
"On the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent
than dolphins because he had acheived so much - the wheel, New York, wars
and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the
water having a good time.  But, conversely, the dolphins had always
believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the
same reasons."
Douglas Adams, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy