From:
Cathy Mallette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 11:52:25 -0400
I'm not fortunate enough to be able to afford vacations, but I have spent
several bouts of unplanned time in the hospital.

I am fortunate enough to have a friend who used to own a ferret who was
able to take my ferret into her home (when I only had one).  When I had
more she would come by daily to give fresh food and water, change the
litter, and let them out to play.  She would spend an hour or so with
them.  The rest of the time they spent in their cage (which was very
large and roomy).  They did fine.

Did I feel bad about that?

Yes - but at least I knew they were being cared for by someone who
enjoyed them and that they did get some attention.  And I feel it was
better than being boarded at a vet, where they would be in a small cage
all the time.

I think it always important to have a backup person in emergencies,
especially if anyone has a ferret on meds.

There are also some shelters that will board and they will provide the
playtime needed.  But I feel thay are already busy enough with the
ferrets they care for daily.

Just my two cents.