From:
Richard G Ardern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 09:59:24 +1200
I have a tool box that on rare occasions the ferrets can get into (nothing
sharp is inside it ) and I have been steadily buying replacement sockets 10
mm especially ,which normally happens sometimes but has been happening a
lot since I got Pogo ,Normally my friend watches them when they (4) are out
and I cook dinner and then come in and watch them.  Last night I found out
Pogo is a tool thief ,I still haven't found the stash but I now know to
look for it.  What is a ferret building I wonder, as she also steals
screws , nuts and bolts if she can find any.

With regard to ferrets being "wild /feral " in New Zealand ,some of the
larger factors are ,few predators, excessive rabbit population ,and a very
mild climate (compared to U.S).

Rabbits in the South Island are common enough to be a major problem with
a friend spending 20,000 (twenty thousand) N.Z dollars a year apart from
government charges of 80,000 (Eighty thousand) in a year.  Recent release
of R.C.D (Rabbit calcivirus Disease) has killed an awful lot of rabbits
off ,so ferrets had a very hard winter last year ,although they are making
a comeback (rabbits + Ferrets )around canterbury (SI) but the rabbits
outstrip the ferrets breeding , From what I understand in california these
conditions don't really exist ,So the arguments by fish and game etc.
won't be valid unless you have "easy" living for ferrets (My thought).

Take care of all you fuzzies

Richard