From:
Cheryl Lovett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 08:12:38 -0500
I have been a subscriber for only a short time (2 weeks) and have enjoyed
reading many of your postings very much.  I have a few questions about my 4
month old, 1st time fert, Sterling.  I have been downloading files and
reading books regarding what's good and not good for ferrets.  I wanted to
know if someone could help me with the litter situation.  The per store
where I purchased Sterling (didn't know about shelters.....wasn't aware they
had them for ferrets and they were so "popular"....stupid me), nut I must
say my darling Sterling has left me with no regrets.

Anyways, the pet store owner seemed very knowledgeable about ferrets, even
though I know now that they shouldn't be caged in glass tanks with wood
chips, I have since informed her.  Well, in questioning the owner, she had
said that pine chips were okay.  Cedar would be avoided.  I have since
learned (through the FML) that all wood chips are harmful.  Well, I now have
to change Sterling's litter because I was using chips.

Back to my original question.....Many people have suggested litter types.
However, no one has mentioned brand names.  I have been to A&P, Shoprite,
Grand Union, and two different pet stores.  All I see are clays and sand
litters.  Yesterday, I found I "rocky" sort of litter called "Kitty-Lite".
It's biodegradable, and supposedly natural with no added scents so I bought
it.  Has anybody heard of this stuff.

My darling Sterling is adapting to it as well as can be expected.  I think
she misses her wood chips because she'd grown accustomed to them.  However,
she had a ball digging and tossing her new litter all over her cage AND the
carpet in my bedroom!!!!  I am trying to hold my ground but I want some
reassurance that I am making a good transition, rather than a harmful one.
Any assistance would be appreciated.  E-mail welcome.

Thanks, so much!!
Cheryl and Sterling

PS  I there anybody from northeastern NJ out there?  Please get in touch.