From:
Todd Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:05:40 PST
24 hours on an antibiotic will traditionally be enough to stop the
infection process.  However, the more is better theory expounded is
incorrect and dangerous!  When prescribed an antibiotic (for you or your
fuzzy) follow the doctor's instructions to the letter.  Doubling the dose
on your own volition has the net effect of halving the amount of time you
will be taking the medicine, with the possible end result that you will
not completely interrupt the growth of the malevolent organism ... some
antibiotics work on the theory of disrupting bacterial growth and
reproduction cycles over a period of time.  You can end up not killing off
the organism, thus reinfecting yourself with a strain of bacteria that
could now be resistant to the original antibiotic!!  There are strains of
antibiotic resistant TB that have been traced to people not finishing
prescriptions once they start to feel better.  So not following
prescription instructions is definitely playing with fire.

I am not a doctor, but I'm sure any doctor would agree with my basic advice
to always medicate properly.  I am a New York State Emergency Medical
Technician so I am familiar with basic medical practices.  Hope you feel
better and your fert stays healthy!

Todd Collins