From:
April Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 03:22:59 -0500
Hi again.  I don't mean to sound like a jerk pressing this issue here, but
some people keep saying a jill in heat too long won't bleed to death; one
of the people that said this then also contrarily said: "Hemorage [sic] is
the most common cause of death".  No, not every death of a jill in heat too
long is from the actual bleeding, but the death is definitely the result of
the continued menstrual (bleeding) cycle.  Even with the aplastic anemia,
in that case her blood becomes deprived of oxygen and starts depleting
her bone marrow, etc, (causing fatigue and exposure to infections, etc.).
Death can be caused by prolonged exposure to super-high hormone levels,
but it is all again related to the continued menstrual (bleeding) cycle.

Again, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I work in the medical
profession, and hemorrhaging IS bleeding.  Thus, if "Hemorage [sic] is
the most common cause of death" in a jill in estrus (heat) for too long
as quoted by the person above, then "BLEEDING is the most common cause of
death".  I will quote my Stedman's Medical Dictionary here:
"Hemorrhage: 1  An escape of blood through ruptured or unruptured vessel
walls.  2. To bleed."

Anemia is basically the lack of oxygen-transporting material in the red
blood cells, so the blood essentially can't do its job with anemia.  You
don't generally have anemia if the body is not somehow losing blood.  In
humans that are not visually bleeding but have anemia, besides iron
deficiencies, physicians worry that the patient may have internal BLEEDING
causing the anemia.

This is a VERY simplistic discussion of this issue, but I guess my point is
in Matan's case, he doesn't seem to understand what needs to be done, and
while it may be all well and good for all the experienced breeders offering
advice here to try their own advice to avoid having to take her to a vet,
(and indeed, as a result of their considerable experience with breeding are
better-equipped to determine what else they can do before involving a vet),
it seems more prudent for the sake of this particular animal to get her
to a vet with an inexperienced owner trying to breed her who is seemingly
grossly underprepared.

Again, just my two cents-plesse keep any flames to yourself; I don't bother
anyone else like that-but I STRONGLY feel that this "breeder" needs to get
this little girl some professional help ASAP-I believe she has been in heat
for quite awhile based on his numerous posts over the past few weeks.  I
do respect the opinions of the experienced breeders here, but they are far
more capable of taking care of such matters themselves than a first-time
breeder with seemingly few resources beyond the FML who is just now asking
what to feed a jill/how to care for her during pregnancy when he has
already mated her.

In disagreement with, but still respectful of, some others' viewpoints,

April