From:
Julie Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:10:58 -0800
>Lifelong dietary restriction (DR) or calorie restriction is a well
>established and perhaps the only reliable means to delay the functional
>decline of cells and tissues with age and the onset of age-associated
>diseases, and to extend the life span of a variety of animals.

Hi Bob!

I find the idea of DR interesting- especially if it would ensure a better
overall quality and length of life for my ferrets.

How would I determine the correct amount of food* for any given ferret?

 *(Kibble, whole prey, raw diet, or a combination)

Would the amount change throughout the year, due to seasonal changes?

Should the food be provided at the same times each day?

( I have heard you shouldn't feed Gremlins after midnight...does this
apply to our little monsters as well?  *LOL*)

I have my doubts I can pull this one off, though...I have 8 free-roam
ferrets, all different ages and sizes.  I also have 3 cats, who much
prefer ferret kibble to their own food.  And of course, my ferrets would
rather have the cat's food!  I can see it now, I return from buying 11
new food dishes, and end up chasing each of my kids around the house
trying to get them to eat (less) of their own food!  <sigh>

Maybe I could try it on my husband first!  Hmmmm.....

Any suggestions?  (Aside from seeking therapy...)

Bye now, I'm off to hunt the elusive Mischievious Mustelid.

Julie & the Woozles
21stCenturyFerret.com
"Ferrety stuff for ferrety people"
Dedicated to the support of
24 Carat Ferret Rescue & Shelter, Las Vegas