From:
Celia Varga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 14:44:17 EDT
In regard to Paige Townsend's post,
>Subject: "Taming" the Scared Ferrets
>I figured that this could be a submissive position and gave it a shot with
>the girls.  In the ferrets room, I laid flat on the floor (however I did
>hide my face in my arms as I did not know what would happen) to this day I
>don't know

This is very interesting.  After reading and seeing on television the
methods of the gentleman whom many have dubbed as the 'horse whisperer" -
I've wondered if we would be able to use the same sort of body language on
ferrets.  I was wondering if anyone else could offer any more insight on
what certain gestures, sounds, expressions could mean on a communication
level with our weasels.  I've noticed that mine will stare and gallop
directly to another in an attempt to initiate play, with thier mouths open,
and then take off while still looking behind them.  I've seen this one
behavior so many times, I believe that is a form of communication that is
universal to the ferret.  does anyone else have any input?

-celia
(Jake, Kes, Dax and Odo-bean (the dancing machine)