From:
Kim Minick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:21:57 EDT
I wanted to let you all know what I do for duck soup.  I totally agree
with the suggestion to find a Vita Mix.  I bought mine second hand on
Ebay, and I love it.  I don't know how I got along without it.

I use ground turkey for my duck soup.  I pretty much follow the rest of
Bob's recipe for the rest.  I cook the ground turkey in the crock pot
with a little water.  I run kibble and the rest through the Vita mix,
and then process the cooked turkey.  I make enough to last my (now) five
ferrets about three weeks.

I did use a hand grinder to grind whole chicken, but none of my ferrets
would eat the tiny bone particles that were at the bottom of the soup
each time that we feed it.  They now lick the plate clean.  I know that
this probably isn't as good as Bob's, but my ferrets love it.  It is
also easier on me to use ground turkey.  I live in Reno, and I can buy a
humoungus roll of ground turkey at WinnCo here for about .89 a pound.  I
cook and process 5 pounds on a rushed soup making day, and 10 pounds when
I have more time.  I still use eggshells, ferrevite, beef fat, and bran
in it.  I don't use honey anymore, we have some with blood sugar issues.

Good luck to those that make soup!  I know just what the person who
mentioned the cost of baby food was talking about.  It was pretty
costly to feed that.

Hugs,
Kim