From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 19:43:11 -0500
Hello to you all:

My name is Sassy.  Some of you may know me, have met me; others of you have
seen my picture on my Mommy's shelter website.  Or maybe you just know me
from my Mommy talking about me.  In any case, I'll introduce myself briefly
before I ask of you what I must.  I have a brother, Ricky.  He and I were in
a home that wasn't so good until we were three.  We wound up in a ferret
shelter for a while, and that wasn't so bad.  I got to stay with my brother
so that was okay.  But we needed a home!  Then, one day, we were taken to
this place they called Ferret Expo, and we were sitting in this cage with
all these people looking at us and holding us.  This woman came to our cage
and asked to see us.  She sat down on the floor of Expo for an hour with me
and Ricky, playing with us and seeing how we acted.  We thought she was
gonna stuff us back in the cage like all the others that held us, but then
she gave some money to the shelter lady and she took us home with her.  That
woman is Mommy, and this was four years ago.

The place she took us was pretty neat.  Lots of toys and we got a big cage
and raisins and stuff.  The best thing of all was hammocks.  She gave us
awesome ones and me and Ricky have spent the last four years cuddling up
together in them; Mommy calls it "spooning" what we do, holding each other.
Anyway, I guess I'm rambling.  I think maybe we might have given Mommy some
big heartaches over the past four years.  Soon after she took us home Ricky
ate a rubber tug toy and Mommy had to give him surgery to take the toy out
(which the vet happily gave back to her in a bag--yuk!) Then, three years
ago Ricky got sick again and started to walk in circles and have strokes and
seizures.  Vet said he had days to live.  Mommy was really sad!  But she did
all kinds of stuff for him and he's still alive, he's now what Mommy says is
retarded but I know he's really happy living in oblivion.  He's really
attached to me, I think that's sweet but he needs to be more independent.
Mommy called him her "miracle boy" and she said that I was the one that
would live to be 11 years old cuz I've never been sick other than a spider
bite.

Now for what I have to ask you all.  You see, I'm writing to you from this
place called the Rainbow Bridge.  I went to the vet today to have something
called exploratory surgery cuz I've been sick a little the past couple of
months.  I got skinny and Mommy thought before it got too bad we should find
out what was wrong cuz blood tests revealed nothing.  But as it turns out
there was a lot really wrong with me and as much as I tried to survive the
surgery, I wasn't strong enough.  The Rainbow Bridge just sounded like a
neat place and it was easier to go there than fight to wake up from surgery.
But I guess I didn't think this decision through well enough before I
decided to go cuz Mommy is pretty sad and now I'm thinking that maybe Ricky
will be sad too.  But all I know is that I'm happy here and I don't want
Mommy to think that I didn't love her enough to stay; I just didn't want to
feel yucky any more.  I didn't suffer, I was a little tired the past few
months and then at the vet they made me sleep.  When I woke up I was here
and it is a cool place.

Please think of me and smile.  Think of my Mommy and send her good thoughts
so she doesn't get too sad.  And probably most of all please think of my
brother and pray for him that he can deal with losing me without getting
sick again.  He's been so healthy lately and I just want HIM to be the one
that lives to be 11.

I'll say hello to all of your ferrets that have come here before me, and
I'll be the first to greet any that come after me.  Bless you all and take
care.

Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady