From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:46:52 -0400
Just so folks know.  Even though surgery is usually (but not typically
for a 10 year old) the best option for adrenal disease, there are meds
which have helped some.

Using both Lupron and a melatonin implant (unless there is insulinoma
so then try oral melatonin first because not all ferrets with
insulinoma do well on melatonin) is a fine option.  In other countries
there are related meds such as deslorelin/ Suprelorlin which is
cheaper and lasts longer than Lupron.

Even just using oral melatonin when there isn't a personal case of
insulinoma that doesn't respond well to it is an option that is a lot
better than doing nothing and certainly is as cheap as dirt.  I
usually get ours for various uses right through Amazon.com during the
many times when the local pharmacy doesn't have it.

There is a lot of info on these various approaches and on treatments
for complications in the FML and FHL Archives and both of those
resources are easy to use!  The FML Archives addy is right in the FML
header every single day, and the FHL Archives addy is right in my
signature lines.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: