From:
Melanie Hawkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 13:17:46 -0500
I have 3 ferrets, Gizzy, Norman, and Moser.  I take the 2 boys outdoors for
hikes frequently, however, I really haven't taken Moser out, because she
seems to have too much fun inside.  Moser is fairly new to the family, but I
have had the boys for about 5+ years now.  I have been taking the boys
outside ever since they were young and there seems to be nothing more
exciting to them than outdoor explorations.  As soon as I get home from work
I open the door to their 8'X12' ferret area that is filled with pvc tubing,
a 2-story condo, rugs to play under,a ferret tent,etc.  - a real ferret fun
park.  The first thing they do when they exit their fun park is greet me of
course and give me kisses, however, as soon as that is out of the way the 2
boys make a b-line to the door.  At the door they lay there looking very
bored and have their eyes on me the whole time.  Moser simply plays with the
cats and even jumps on the boys, and the boys do nothing but look bored
stiff.  I, being a mom, just hate to see these pathetic little faces and
usually give in and take them outdoors for a spin.  When I don't have time
to take them outside, however, I try to entertain them so that they don't
have the chance to be bored.  I play with my fuzzballs a lot.  They play for
a while with me and each other, however, they end up back near the door with
sad little faces.  I look at Moser and wonder if I should even introduce her
to the outdoors, because she is very happy playing inside.  I may spoil her
funtime inside if I decide to take her outside like I did with the boys.
Has anyone else experienced this similar situation?  If so, how do you get
their minds off of the outdoors?  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
Melanie