From:
DONALD AND ELEANOR MEAD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2002 23:30:20 -0400
I sit here barely able to see, feeling as though my heart has been ripped
right out of my chest, not feeling a reason to even go on.  You see, I was
owned by 12 ferrets and Mylo was my favorite a adoptee from Gimmee Shelter
in Wareham, MA.  When I first met him, I believe it was on shelter helper
night in the fall of last year, he tried to take me by my thumb, gently,
and try to drag me into bag with him as if I were another ferret ( Mylo
was adrenal and was awaiting surgery ).  He did this several times.  Every
time I went to see him, he did this.

He won my heart and he had chosen me!  He was a dark eyed white,
absolutely beautiful little boy, sweet personality, very gentle, but
didn't like other ferrets.  To make a long story short, he had bilateral
adrenal surgery and biopsy results came back positive for a slow growing
cancer.  I adopted him.  I took him everywhere with me!  He would let
anyone, including little children and even a very eldery woman with a
walker on oxygen hold him for long periods of time without squirming at
all, as a matter of fact he would lick people in the ear!  Many have
remarked "what a beautiful ferret, I've never seen one like him before".
He has helped educate people on ferrets.  Mylo and I did a lot together
and he would sleep on my chest at night, but my loud snoring would make
him take off in the middle of the night.

3 days ago as he was laying on my chest, I was rubbing his belly, when I
felt a mass, I was totally shocked!  I know he had gained weight, but I
thought it was from my chicken soup, just like all the other ferrets!  I
rushed him to a vet and wasn't happy with the diagnosis so I took him to
another the next day.  They did all kinds of tests, ultasound and then
surgery because it showed a huge mass , etc.  He made it through surgery.
They suspect Lymphoma, had to close him right up, nothing could be done
everything involved.  His breathing got worse and he had fluid around his
heart and was given pain meds.  I went to see him and we all decided to
take him because it didn't look good at all.

Mylo died in my arms close to my heart where he loved to be, while I
massaged his ear and kissed his head as I told him 5 minutes before that
I knew he was in pain and that I didn't want him to go but if he had to,
I would understand.  He let out a few little heavy slow breaths and gasps
and he died on the way.  He died at 6:52 friday May 10 th, my baby, my
companion, my best friend who stole my heart and took it with him.

I feel so numb as though my heart has been buried with him.  I have also
decided after a long talk with my local vets to not do surgery on my older
ferrets and go the medical route for now unless absolutely neccessary.

I love my ferrets, but none have touched me in the way, Mylo has.

Eleanor Mead