From:
SuburbaKnight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 09:25:56 -0400
The following was posted in response to my open question regarding the
blatantly lacking interest that mass breeders seem to have in educating
retailers and, to a lesser degree, ferret owners (at least "new" ferret
owners):

>People just need to learn to deal with it, rather then seek out and attack
>the very industry that supports your right to keep ferrets or other pets.

Certainly mass breeders "support" our right to keep ferrets: they're in the
business of making money off ferrets.  However, this industry (you picked a
very good word here) doesn't merit the consideration you wish to give it.
Although many of our ferrets are adoptees, I believe that they are all
Marshall's and every one of them are the best ferrets alive (obvious bias
here).  My problem is not with the ferrets.  My problem is with breeders
who will blindly ship ferrets to retailers who have ZERO qualifications
or knowledge about ferrets.  A recent rescue of ours was a "fad" ferret
isolated in a sub-par cage in a pet store which was exclusively a reptile
shop.  No one can state that the welfare of the ferret is being thought of
in this situation.  Additionally, the only way to improve this "industry"
is to critique it (attack it, if you prefer) in order to improve poor
circumstances.

>If we, in this industry, fight among ourselves, we will lose our rights to
>keep any animals due to being so busy infighting, that we fail to notice
>legislation that plays on individual fears, pushed by extremists.

My concern is the welfare and humane treatment of all animals, especially
ferrets.  Being critical of pathetic conditions (see the posts re: Petco)
isn't "infighting"; it's standing up for the rights of ferrets.

>I feel that too many people spend time passing judgment over others, then
>seeking ways to improve things for our pets in a positive way.  Rather
>then make attacks, make reasonable suggestions.

Anytime I see a situation in which a creature is being victimized, whether
out of ignorance or intent, I will pass judgement and continue to do so as
long as I have a conscience.  These offensive situations are unacceptable
and harsh judgement is a compelling start to correcting them.  However,
through the judgement and critique itself I am making suggestions.  If you
wish to mass breed an animal, fine.  But at least have the humanity to
ensure that the retailers you sell to are knowledgeable.  I believe I
stated that in my initial post.

Again, I realize there are exceptions, but I do not see mass breeders
following responsible guidelines regarding the selling of ferrets.  I have
read this mailing list as well as the newsgroups for quite some time and
I'm always sadly amazed at the lack of knowledge which is exhibited by some
ferret owners- much of what they ask should have been learned prior to
acquiring a ferret.  Just as people bear responsibility for educating
themselves about their pets, breeders have a responsibility to ensuring
retailers have a similar knowledge.

But perhaps that's an "unreasonable" suggestion.