From:
"Gustafson, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:23:09 -0700
Sharon posted.....

>From:    Sharon Allen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Outrageous Pets
>What I found were three lively little guys in a big glass cage at the
>front of the store.  The cage was pristine in it's cleanliness... Also
>in the corner at the front of the store, with plenty of sunshine, was a
>glassed in well ventilated "ferret playground" about half the size of a
>bedroom.

Here's a thought.  As a group many of us are quick to judge/complain and/or
condemn pet stores that do not meet our standard of quality care for
ferrets.  I agree that honey catches more flies than vinegar and that
education is the key in turning cases such as these around, but here is
something else that can work as well.  What if we were to present pet
stores, such as the one mentioned above, with an award or certificate of
excellence when they demonstrate a high quality of care for their ferrets.
Many pet store owners are also members of organizations such as "PIJAC"
(Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council and you can bet a pet store who
receives an award of excellence is going to brag to other pet store owners
who might in turn learn something by it.  Perhaps Modern Ferret could
feature such a store in an article as an example of how ferrets should be
cared for in pet store situations.

Barbara Gustafson
Alberta Ferret Society
President