From:
"Mrs. Duck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:18:42 -0500
[Moderator's note: I'm a little confused here since this post seems to
contradict the one following.  But this post was received quite a bit later
than the one following it, so I assume (and hope) this post reflects the
true status of this mess.  BIG]

After consulting with an attorney and giving in to common sense, the Pet
Store owners have decided NOT to turn the two (yes there were two- more
about that in a moment) over to be tested for rabies.  As there is zero risk
involved, and they have an attorney who has interpreted the law to mean that
in this case testing is unessecary, we are safe for now.  There are two
ferrets involved, I believe light silver patterns or black eyed whites both
kits from a local small farm.  It was unknown which kit was responsible, so
both were requested.

I have put the Pet Store Owners and their attorney in touch with Drs.
Williams and Hoffman, as well as Dick Bossart (an angel from heaven in these
issues) and Jim Scott, who is an attorney heavily involved with the reform
in MD.  We are trying to keep this quiet as the State Health Dept.  is not
yet involved, and the County Health Dept. seems to be very sympathetic
towards the ferrets.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE HEALTH DEPT., THE PEDIATRICAN, OR THE PET STORE
OWNERS!!  At this point we are trying to proceed quietly and carry a big
stick.  The one owner is very skittish, and we do not want him to change his
mind again, which is likely if he gets any wind of any type of hubbub!  I
will keep you informed of the situation as it progresses.  For now we just
need your prayers.  If anyone out there can help me with some legal research
(maybe a law student with access to WestLaw or Lexus), please e-mail me
privately.

One other note- in about 5 days we will need to place these ferrets TOGETHER
in a home in NJ, or maybe the very Eastern side of PA.  Please e-mail me
privately if you are interested.

Anne Ryan
F.E.E.L.