From:
Katie Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1992 09:29:09 -0400
> In issue 305 Ron 'Coyote' Lussier says...
> > ... Elsa is now about 9 years old, and she is suffering from creeping
> > baldness. Her hind end and tail are nearly hairless, and I noticed this
> > morning while holding her that she seems to be losing hair on her head.
>
> Well, bad news and good news.  What you are describing seems like a real
> classic case of a adrenal tumor - very very common in ferrets.  The good
> news is that such things are not generally fatal (they don't metastasize)
> and are pretty easy to remove.  Though, on a 9 year old ferret, I'm not
> sure if the risk/reward ratio is as favorable.  I suggest seeing a vet
> with a lot of experience with such stuff - Karen Rosenthal at the Animal
> Medical Center in New York City is one I can recommend, off hand.

I second the recommendation on Karen Rosenthal -- there are others as
well -- Nancy Hartman's Percy recently had an adrenal tumor removed
by Thomas Kawasaki, I believe.  It MAY be nothing, or it MAY be a tumor.
You should have this checked out soon.  If you tell us your location,
maybe we can find you an experienced vet near you.

> Some of my guys favorite toys are:
[list deleted]

Brian, I LOVE your list!!  I laughed and laughed!

> Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1992 14:35:28 -0400
> From: "Brian K. Dore'" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Infection
>

>   My newest ferret B.G. received a bad bite from my other ferret a few
> months ago when they were getting to know each other.  The wound got
> infected and swollen.  The swelling went down, and it looked like it
[deletions]
> signs of being weak or sick.)   Are there any generally available antibiotics
> or penicillin that I could administer myself?   Or should I bring him in
> and let the vet have a look?   Thanks for any advice,

Brian, you might ask your vet for a medication called Amoxi-drop.  This is
a pink powder that comes in an eye-dropper bottle.  You mix it with water
and give it to B.G. with the dropper.  It contains an antibiotic called
Amoxycillin.  Once you mix it with water, you have to refrigerate it, and
it loses its potency in 7 days.  It smells like bubblegum, and most ferrets
love it.  Bandit certainly did!

Good luck with B.G. and let us know how he does!

> From: "Kevin Kimmell" <[log in to unmask]>
>       Hi.  Just wondering if I can possibly be taken off of this mailing
> list.  I got back from break to find about 50 messages and my alloted drive
> space was GONE.  I do love ferrets, but haven't gotten any use out of this
> mailing list.

I don't know if this will happen until Chris gets back from vacation.
If you're still with us, Kevin, we'll miss you -- and hope you can
come back and join us sometime soon.

To Clare and Bill Sebok:
Our guys DID tunnel and play in the styrofoam peanuts, and THEN
they tried to eat it.  We don't let 'em near the stuff anymore.
Ferrets!  They're such PERVERSE little critters!  (But we love
'em anyway!)

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie & Pogo