Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 10:06:37 -0600
There have been a number of post recently about ferrets who have had have
one bout of diarrhea after another.  Now Chook, my 6.5 year old male is in
the same vicious cycle.  We have gone the amoxicillan and metrodiazonal
route like most of the other cases, with the addition of yogurt (to replace
stomach bacteria) and Bismuth (to ease the stomach upset).  We have done
this with just the meds, with meds and just yogurt, with meds and yogurt
and Bismuth.... nothing lasts for more than a month.

Chook's perpetual diarrhea has us in great concern as each time he goes
through this, he stops eating dry food and drops weight.  His spine bones
show, and his fat deposits don't feel like he has alot in reserve.  Once he
feels better, he eats on his own, and starts to put weight back on.  In the
meantime, we hand feed him.

My vet is stumped.  We have done the blood test, the x-rays, poop smears...
Could this be stress related?

There was a poster who wrote about another alternative to the above meds
but can't recall who it was.  This person mentioned a different med and
said it cured his ferrets once and for all of diarrhea.  Can anyone recall
this post or who it was who wrote it, or even the medication mentioned?  I
am getting desperate for an answer for I fear that Chook can't take too
many more of these bouts.

Thanks
Betty and Her Blur O'Fur