From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:06:58 -0500
Hi everyone!

Thank you all so much for so many responses to my post about where to get
vaccines.  I started to reply to all personally, but they just kept pouring
in, so here I am...

First, I found out the problem I was having with ordering FERVAC-D from
Jeffers... the woman who answered the phone there was an idiot.  They DO
sell it.  Didn't mean to scare anyone there.

Next, I got a lot of responses telling me not to vaccinate for rabies
myself.  (Also got a few saying not to vaccinate even distemper myself).  I
was trying to be brief in my message yesterday, but now I realize I may have
been sending a message I didn't mean to... I would *never* recommend
self-vaccinating for rabies.  The whole reason we need rabies vaccine is not
because they might be bitten by an infected animal, but because our furries
could be beheaded without it, and without a vet's signature stating it was
done by a vet.

Our situation here is that I've got 13 ferrets that need to be vaccinated,
NOW.  Our shelter funds total $1.95--no kidding.  So, I called up the most
wonderful vet in the world, and said "what can you do for me?" This angel of
mercy said that if I ordered the vaccines, she would come out to the house,
vaccinate all 13, do exams on all 13, and she'd even vaccinate my cats for
me.  I asked what she would charge... not a penny.  Just the cost of
ordering vaccines.  This woman should be sainted in the ferret world, I'm
telling you.

As far as distemper vaccinations out of a vet's clinic--please, do not do
this unless you are experienced, have supplies on hand in case of a
reaction, and access to a vet -quick- if your treatment isn't helping.  My
vet is bringing everything that she might need in case of a reaction.
Believe me, and I know that Laurie Murchie (Slinky the Moondancer) knows
what I'm talking about.  The day before I brought Spaghetti to her (she
adopted him--I MISS HIM!) I had him in for routine vaccines, he'd been
vaccinated every year on time before, and he had a major reaction.  Three
hours on oxygen, pumped with a number of drugs, hooked up to IV fluids, you
name it.  If not for this saint of a vet I mentioned, he wouldn't have made
it, he was thisclose to dying.  He's good now, in good hands, but whether
he's vaccinated for distemper in the future is questionable.  Even the vet
recommended against it.

Anyway, I should have explained the situation better, I figured those who
read my post would know that I'd never do anything that's not in the best
interests of the ferts.  But, there are many out there that don't know me,
and many who are still learning, and I guess I made it seem as though it was
no big deal to self-vaccinate.  AACK!  I'm guilty of poor education!

Final note: it does turn out that the rabies point is moot: my vet will have
to order them herself anyway.  It's not legal in PA.

Have a ferrety day!

Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady