From:
D CHRISTEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 07:20:29 -0500
Dear FML'rs
Just read about Troy Lynn, and am elated, this woman has been a blessing
to me.  Since my Odysseus has taken ill (hind quarter weakness to no use of
them at all), she has talked / advised me through his treatment!  My phone
bill should be out of this world next month?  Who cares, she seems to be
more interested in Odies care, than his own vet?  I w/not remark much about
that.

Odie is on baytril which seems to have perked him right up, he had cbc
blood draw, to indicate w/results of chronic renal failure (we have taken
care of w/sub q's, administered @ home), and the prednisone for the
insulinoma that showed up on the test results.  It has been nearly 2 wks
now, and signs are good, but...he still cannot walk, i am considering some
sort of cart for my little old fellow, as he does like to get around and
is very independent when he is awake (spending most of his time sleeping @
present, w/us in bed @ night & in the papasan chair by day) This from a
little old fellow that was given a death sentence from his vet the weekend
i brought him in.  Odie has been through surgery for bloat a summer ago,
he pulled through that, i hope that he can come through this, too.  WE WILL
as to his weight gain, and health improvement, but he is still critical to
some degree?  Currently i am rather dissappointed in his vet care, but i
w/stick it out, since he is already familiar w/the case, BUT, if another
opportunity arises that i can find a vet willing to work w/me for all the
ferts that i have in my care, i w/be glad to change.

I do not post much on fml, most have been to request prayers, but have
always cried over the losses, rejoiced in the advances, and prayed for you
all.  I want to thank everyone who has kept my Odie in their prayers, while
we are battling this affliction.  He never did play much wnen i got him, he
was already beyond the youthful stage, but i did not mind.  Odie has always
been a very special fellow to me, he is so patient, and looks at me,
w/understanding when i talk to him.  When he had his emergency surgery for
bloat, the vet gave me 3 options, intubate to relieve some of the gas, do
the (humane?  thing) and put him down, or do the surgery, i had only had
him 6 months?  I looked the doctor on call that day, and told him to his
face "Odie w/let me know when he is ready to die, u can do the surgery".
He pulled through that one, i can only pray that he comes through this.
He tires easily, but when u have 2 legs doing the work that is to b done
by 4, what can you expect.

When we have love for animals, we also have a respect for life itself.  It
tells u a lot about other people, u learn a lot by reading, observing and
listening.  i still have a lot to learn about ferret care, and i had better
get busy, as i have welcomed into my home and life 2 more little girls,
Lily and Poppy.  They are happily sleeping in my Tigger jacket in my
bedroom closet and Lily has taken to licking my face off :0) she wouldn't
give kisses to me, but would lavish them on my husband when she first
arrived.  I think there are 2 very spoiled or soon to b spoiled little
girls in this house, but as long as they are healthy and happy, who cares.

Loved the poopie poem, i printed it and hung it on my fridge, w/25 ferrets
to care for what can i say?  My daughter says i am a true ferret mommy,
when i am checking poopies for signs of ?

she who told me to rescue not buy anymore ferrets, and brings me home one
for Valentines Day, Epimetheus...the blaze w/a curl to his lip...short and
stubby, but sweet right along w/all my other prescious babies.

Take care, i should send now, before i rattle on some more.  Keep Odie in
your prayers, he is a sweetheart.

Thanks Donna and all