From:
Dawn Tepley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 22:39:28 -0500
(.....I know its not very related to ferrets, but I thought I'd help
explain)

Hi Stephanie,

I breed guinea pigs and am also a member of the american cavy breeders
association.  In the newsletters I've gotten from the club, it was VOTED
upon, by the members, if they wanted to try to make HAIRLESS guinea pigs,
a breed.  It was agreed upon, and so, know there are hairless guinea pigs.
I don't know where the petstore got 'Exotic' for the name, but, not to
worry, it is not abnormal.  (I personally don't care for hairless animals,
but that's another story)  They (american rabbit breeders association) also
plan on coming up with a hairless rabbit!  Hairless is 'the way to be'
right now.  They just better not try to do that to our 'furkids'!!!

Hope this helps,
Heidi