From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:25:01 EDT
To all of you wonderful folks that offered suggestions regarding Derek's
spleen operation, I am happy (very happy) to say all went well yesterday.
He came home this morning and is doing great.

The vet says the spleen represented 27% of Dereks weight before removal and
was dangerously enlarged.  In fact, the vet says he had to make a larger
than usual incision to remove it.  It was removed just in time; a sudden
jar could have ruptured it and that would have been a serious situation
for sure.  While working on the spleen the vet looked at the adrenals and
found them looking fine.

Right now Derek is sleeping but he ate a substantial amount of his normal
food and drank water without any problem.  The remarkable thing is that he
has regained his typical ferret hunched back!  We don't ever recall him
having one but with such a load to carry around it's understandable.

So, thanks to you and all your thoughts and to an excellent veterinarian,
Dr. R. Dahlhausen, Derek is home and ready to take off -- after a few
day's isolation from his cage mate, Layla.

He's like a new ferret.

Al Wiebe