Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:44:15 -0500
Thanks to MC for mentioning vanilla for odour control; I find when I'm
making soap and other toiletries that it is one scent that both men and
women seem to LOVE all year round!  :->

Just wanted to mention one quick thing, though; real vanilla extract CANNOT
be applied directly to the skin ..  of either pets or animals.  It's not
even supposed to be used in soap because it is a strong skin irritant; all
of the soapmakers I know use synthetic vanilla fragrance oils instead.  The
one time I was foolhardy and used real vanilla in soap, half of my friends
broke out in rashes from it.  I can only imagine what it would do to the
more sensitive skin of a ferret!

The "Consumer's Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients" by Ruth Winters, M.S.
has this to say about vanilla extract and vanillin: "A skin irritant that
produces a burning sensation and eczema.  May also cause pigmentation of
the skin".

Please only use REAL vanilla extract on items that won't come in contact
with your ferrets' delicate skin!  If you want to purchase a synthetic
vanilla fragrance oil which is skin-safe (for human skin, anyway), a
couple of sources I would recommend are: www.brambleberry.com,
www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com, and www.sweetcakes.com.  (An added bonus is
that the fragrance oil tends to be cheaper than vanilla extract, too! :->)

- Ela

   (000)___(000)        Ela Heyn
   ======@======    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5483