From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 00:45:54 -0500
[A disclaimer - for those inexperienced with computers who are rightly
paranoid of virus infestation - this is a joke - if it weren't, I wouldn't
be writing, I'd be shooting myself<G>.]

Funny thing, since I downloaded my e-mail, I seem to have acquired some
unique and unusual memory problems.  Like that time I set DOS stacks to 0,0
without checking to ensure dBase IV makes its own.

Now, since I use a REAL DOS, ( <on the soap box> Digital Research DOS 6.0 is
the best DOS version ever created.  No MicroSquash stuff here!!!  Ok, except
Windows 3.1 <off soap box, and end of commercial> ), this is unusual.  A
quick check with several memory utilities and a little assembler later and a
solution.  Well, a diagnosis anyway.  Something's removing stuff from my
stack.  There are huge empty gaps in memory.  My environment space is
_GROWING_.  Why in the world do I need 2K of environment space???!!!!  Why
do I suddenly have a 50M permenant swap file?  What is in there?  A quick
trip with a disk editor and ...  HUH?  (I mean Aye) ...  why are there
entries in the unused sections of my FAT?  Aha - references to low memory!
A new stash!  References to Expanded memory - another stash.  What do you
mean I have 200M in cross linked chains???!!!  (ferrets may be smart, but I
don't think they're great at hex to binary conversions!)

Maybe a little ferretone in the floppy to coax the critter out?  Wish I'd
made a backup!

Thanx for the funny Rudy - Monster thinks it's a good idea and wants to try.
She has a really nasty sense of humour!

Megan and Monster.
**Monster - "I may not fit in the floppy drive, but I can reach the
power swi...