From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 23:43:51 -0600
When I first read this I became very angry.  But sat and thought it out for
awhile and decided something needed to be said.  I'm still angry, but that
stems from MY encounters with the shelter.  I've taken in 6 ferrets that
were not wanted for whatever reason, even going out of state for them.  I
live in Minnesota.  We've given our phone number to a few pet shops that
told us people had contacted them about taking a ferret they bought but
didn't want anymore.  I've given friends the shelters phone number.  They
went to the local humane society for their second ferret after talking with
her.

Now some of us are on the shelters mailing list, but not part of the
'membership'.  This is the first many of us have heard of this problem!
I'm sure there are a lot of people that would love to help, but aren't
hearing any of this or given the option too.

As for the pet stores selling ferrets, you're never going to see this stop,
at least not in the near future.  Not many people around here know there is
a ferret shelter, and unfortunately many who talk to the shelter mom are
not going back.  You can attract a lot more 'flies' with honey than with
vinegar.

A ferret lover in Minnesota