Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 19:04:09 -0400
Regarding a recent post on 'Ferret Toys': I've also noticed they won't play
with ferret toys (maybe they can read and think they're humans so the toys
aren't for them).  Nothing makes my little ones happier than an empty bag
left on the floor.  Paper, plastic, whatever.  Before I get in trouble, I
have to say the stiff plastic that crinkles--not the smooth thin stuff that
suffocates.  Any toys I buy are either ignored or hidden immediatly and
never played with.  WARNING: If you have to buy toys, no soft latex stuff
with squeekies.  They will chew the squeeker out and probably swallow it and
the pieces of latex.

It also seems anything new or changed or moved creates a great opportunity
to explore.  They can find the way into anything with uncanny intelligence.
No one who knows ferrets will ever say 'dumb animal'.  Even those plastic
storage things with snap on tops.  They know which end of the zipper
(usually found on visitors handbags) will open with some nose/dig work.  I
am truly amazed sometimes.  Yet other times they don't have the sense to get
out from underfoot or know that they can't fly.  Go figure!

I noticed other posts refered to SPONGIE JUMPER.  I had the same results
they did.

The most fun we had with 'homegrown' toys is the cardboard core from
wrapping paper.  Not the small ones, but the big economy 3" dia.ones that I
can only find at Christmas time.  Pepper, a BEW, who has since passed away
would go in one end and I would cover the exit with one hand and move the
tube to a new location before she got to the exit (it was a tight squeeze
for her, but she was a butterball).  When she came out, she'd turn around
and go right back in only to come out in another new location (the sofa, the
chair, the coffee table, back to the floor) We called it 'How'd you get
there?' and she (we) just loved it.

I have seen a lot of talk about dryer hose.  I will try that.  What I have
is 4" PVC pipe that plumbers use.  It comes straight, in elbows or T's.  The
straight sections are cut into 1 foot lengths and seems the perfect tunnel
size.  I make a 'mini maze'--small so they don't lack for air--they come out
of one section and into another.  (My father had this idea for me and he
doesn't even own ferrets).  Another plus is that it affords protection for
the 'underdog' if a scuffle is going on.  The drawback is that I can't see
them inside, but the pieces are shortl enough so I can see one end or the
other.

Lately, we've been having fun with an old pillow case.  I hold one corner
and try to drop in on Bandit (Oscar too, but Bandit's the champ).  I guess
it looks like another ferret's dance/attack, because that's the reaction I
get.  Then the case opens, he goes inside and we have a 'scratch contest'
It's like communtication: I scratch 3 times...he scratches 3 times.  Try it.
I think they can count too!  Works best on the bed with him under a cover
and me on the outside.

Enough for today.  I wanna go play!

Donna, Bandit & Oscar