From:
Stuart & Susan Wenzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 19:48:30 -0600
I took Friday off to cook and clean for our big Christmas party.  Stuart's
been after me to run by the pet store and pick up some chicken treats for
Tom and Jerill.  After a morning of cooking, I figured running errands would
be easier on my feet, so I set out.

When I entered the pet store, Dan, the owner, greeted me with a big hello
and seemed particularly happy to see me.  (I've bought two ferrets from him,
and have become quite friendly with him.) He announced that a young man who
bought a ferret from him was moving back to his parents' house, and would be
unable to keep his 5 month old ferret.  I rolled my eyes.  Dan said, "He is
free to a good home, and I know you would provide that." I began to weaken.
Then he said, "Hold on, I'll go get him." My head swam.  Dan appeared a
moment later with a beautiful sable male, bright of eye, glossy of fur, and
yawning luxuriously.  I was undone.  I called Stuart to ask him if it was OK
to take him - a mere formality.  We plopped him in a box, and off I went.  I
swung by the vet, where he was pronounced a magnificent specimen, and
brought him home.

He has been christened Gabriel, in honor of the Christmas season.  It has
been fascinating watching the three interact.  Tom and Jerill are coming up
on a year old.  They are quite easygoing, judging by some things I read.  I
can put my girlfriend's four year old female in the cage with them for a
weekend visit, no problem.  Mainly, they like to run around.  Gabriel is so
much quicker than Tom, who has cataracts, and Jerill, who has put on an
enormous amount of winter weight.  Gabriel will dash in front of them, then
double back and escape, while Tom and Jerill wander about, lost and
confused.  Tom is clearly the alpha, as he is the one intent on showing
Gabriel who is boss.  Two nights ago, Gabriel was so sore about Tom kicking
his butt, that he (Gabriel) attacked the back of my wrist and chewed it
pretty thoroughly.  I'm not worried though, clearly he is not a vicious
biter.  That was the only time he set his teeth in me, and he shows no sight
of aggressive tendencies.

Jerill is taking out his aggressions by attacking the Christmas ornaments
and lights.  Actually, what he really wants are the plastic covers on our
chile pepper lights.  He went for the string of chile pepper lights I had
wrapped around the bannister.  I removed them.  Then he went for the lights
strung across the bookcase.  (The bookcase is in the alcove formed by the
stairs going up and turning the corner.) So I moved the lights off the
bookcase.  Next I found Jerill poised on top of the very tall bookcase, on
which my gargoyles sit, looking like a gargoyle himself, mouth agape, trying
to determine if he could fly across the space between bookcases to secure
the precious chile pepper lights.  He was so mad when I got him down, that
he rushed over to the tree and pulled the nearest ornament off.  Sigh* We
all need a certain amount of aggravation in our lives.  :-)

Blessed Christmas,
 Stuart and Susan
 Tom  (I'M the boss!)
 Jerill (GIVE ME the chile pepper!)