Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 01:34:13 -0800
Last night about 11pm my 1.5 year old deaf blaze boy, Titus started this
snorkling choking coughing sound.  He was definitely uncomfortable,
running about, from here to there.  It was pretty severe.  I just KNEW at
any moment he would be gasping his last breath.I gave him some benedryl.
He has had allergies before so I thought he snuffled something too close.
Waited 1 hour.  It didn't help.  Next I tried some ferret respritory
therapy, didn't help.  Called emergency vet.  No one ferret knowledgable
at the clinic.  Gave him pepto bismol at 1:00am.  He was sound to sleep
and all comfy in 3 minutes.  That only lasted about 45 minutes though.
He woke up in the same panic.  I was afraid to give him more pepto so
soon so I tried some carafate as I know from when he had helibactor that
he can have both at the same time.  That didn't help.  I waited another 2
hours and gave him another dose of pepto at 4:00am.  At 7:00am still all
sniffly but not as severe.  Left for the vets 9:15am.  He was perfect all
the way there and while at the vets (of course)!  Vet said to give him
Pepto every 6 hours for 5 days.  Says he probably has some reflux going
on.  He is back too being all snuffly again but does get relief from the
pepto doses but it doesn't last 6 hours.

Is there anything else I can do for him?  Why do ferrets always get
better on the way to the vets and worse after you leave?!  Any advice on
how to make him comfortable would be helpful.  Also, if you have any
other ideas as to what it might be I would like to here from you.

Thanks in advance, MAry JO and the "8 is Enough gang"

ps none of the other 7 are showing any symptoms.