From:
Debra Thomason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 10:50:32 -0600
Dear FML Subscribers--
I almost didn't post on this subject because I think it's very unlikely
that Bill will decide to publically post forwarded flames, but since it
continues to get traffic and some folks seem in favor, here's my two cents
dissenting.  This list is large as it is.  It is worthwhile because of
the hard info which is often in it.  Often enough we see strongly worded
disagreements or even flames.  I spend my time paging past them, skimming
lest I miss something important.  I would hate to see the hatred-filled
spewing of privately sent pure flame posts added into the mix!  I think I
would finally unsubscribe were that to happen, as the wasted time and
irritation would tip the scales between worthwhile reading and junk.  I
understand the theory that posting private flames would expose the flamers,
but that doesn't mean it would stop someone with nothing better to do.

They could sign up for another free e-mail account, subscribe to the FML,
and gather info on targets to flame away.  Flame from alternate accounts.
Worse, take a minute to realize how easy it is to edit an e-mail so that it
appears to say something it didn't originally.  It happened at my company,
much to the chagrin of my boss.  There is a large group of employees that
share a generic e-mail account.  One of those users mailed a suggestion to
the folks that select the "quote of the day" on our corporate intranet
homepage.  He received a belittling reply suggesting he was stupid and his
submission out-of-line.  Or did he?  It so happened that a co-worker saw
the reply first and editted in the belittling portions.

There was no trace to suggest to the intended recipient that the message
had been tampered with.  This was what the intended reader thought he had
actually gotten back, so the editted message got forwarded to the boss
lady.  My boss went to bat for her employee only to eventually discover
that another of her folks had caused the problem.  All it took was one jerk
to malign 2 other people and leave several others with a bad taste in their
mouths.  Point is that anyone who is truly the level of agitator described
could "forge" e-mail quickly and easily making you or me or anyone else
appear to be the culprit, especially if he had ever actually received a
private message from you.  The agitators cause enough damage by the private
flames.  Please don't expand their role by spreading their filth.

Enlisting the help of Bill or your ISP in taming them or using delete
functions would be the better part of valor!

Thanks,

Debra in Fort Worth