From:
Scott E Kullberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 09:58:40 -0400
Hi all!

We're having some trouble litter-training our kids (16 weeks old).  For
the last two weeks or so, they've been ignoring their litter box and doing
their business in another corner of the cage, regardless of what's there.
I've tried putting ferret-smelling towels there but they just go on them
anyway.  I've even found their food bowl pushed into the corner and pooped
in.

They were doing pretty well (one was nearly 100%, the other 75%+) before,
so I suspect they're confused or upset about something- this is reinforced
by the one night I went to clean/feed/water them in the morning and they'd
both used the box properly all night, but immediately went back to the
wrong corner in the morning.  I thought they might be upset that we're not
around as much as we had been before, but it actually started when one of
us was still around all day.

When we catch them in the wrong corner, or wake them up to poo, we move
them to the box (sometimes several times) and give them ferretone but it
doesn't seem to register.

What sorts of things work in a situation like this- do we need to:

* get a new cage?
* get a new litter box? (We currently have a triangular corner one; I'm
  considering buying a rectangular one as an experiment.
* try new litter? (for a while we did since the stores around here were
  out of what we originally bought, but it didn't make a difference.
* wait for them to grow out of bratty (but awful cute) little kid stage?

Thanks much for any help!

-Scott, LeaAnn, Zoom (sable F), and Doofus (silver M)

--
Scott E Kullberg <*>  [log in to unmask] --><--
 "I thought everyone liked "Quark" ice cream. I've got all three colors in