From:
valerie wahoski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 20:09:14 -0700
Greetings everyone!

Well, I had a fun day today!  after reading a lady's post from the FML
about her mentioning you never know what you are getting yourself into
when you reply to an ad in the paper (THANK YOU WHOEVER YOU ARE)...I was
looking through last week's classifieds, and I noticed an ad in the paper:

Male ferret, healthy 1 year old $100 cage, toys, litterbox, etc

Well, just curious I called and asked the lady if she still had it....a
guy answers the phone and I couldn't tell if it was a man or a two year
old.  It took me 5 minutes to get directions and off I went(he told me
"next to condemmed house") .  I pulled up to the house and I noticed a
cat carrier on their front porch with a sign on it that said "for sale"
as i walked to the carrier a lady walked out half naked and i looked
inside the cage.  You would not BELIEVE the conditions they had them in.

There he was in a cat carrier filled with pine shavings OUTSIDE in 85
degree weather IN THE SUN!!!  .  I asked her what type of food she said
she was feeding him...she said they'll eat anything but she mainly fed him
LETTUCE AND CUCUMBERS!!!!  (they really will tell you anything!!) then i
told her i fed mine a mix of kitten food and ferret food and she said
"well i ran out of that 3 days ago and i am going to the store tomorrow to
buy some more" (PLEASE!)  besides that there was the biggest pile of S*IT
i have ever seen in my life!  and there was a tiny bowl.with no water in
it.....but it looked like a hampster bowl.

She told me she got him in November from Pet Depot and she couldn't get a
refund and so she just wanted to get rid of "IT" at this point i was a
little upset.(i was surprised it was still alive) I asked about shots etc,
and she said she didn't have the money for shots and that it cost too
much.  Then I was really upset and i knew i needed to leave or else
something bad was going to happen, and i told her i would bring her some
ferret food by, untill friday when I got my check.then

I asked her if I could bring $30 today and take him and give her the rest
friday, and she said ok .....i went home, cooled off a little, then
scraped up $32 and almost got a speeding ticket ;)  I gave the lady the
money and.  I took him home, and he DIVED for the food dish...poor little
guy.... He looks really healthy and his stools are a ferretey poop.  (they
stink too!) he doesn't scratch or anything, shiney soft fur...all his fur
on his tail.  I let him run around in my room for a little bit and ALL HE
DID WAS DOOK AND PLAY for an HOUR straight!!!  so his name is Buckie (aka
lucky) .  right now he's playing in a box of starch peanuts.....yup you
heard me...STARCH PEANUTS!!!!

Also I was wondering...is it possible for ferrets to have allergies to
mold?  in December our master bathroom flooded, and the water went to the
master bedroom where my parents sleep....Noodles likes sleeping in their
dresser, and my mom mentioned something about a mold smell...could that
cause allergies, because we're thinking that is what noodles has, because
she has been scratching like crazy, and losing hair by the patches.
Should I keep her out of their room?  we cannot find anything else that
would cause the allergies except for pollen, but she hasn't been outside.
(haven't changed laundry soap etc......) her vet has her on Hydroxyzine
for now untill next week when we have another check up, but I haven't
noticed a decrease in scratching...any info would help, personal
experiences etc.... sorry for the long post....thanks!

-valerie

~*~*~ VALERIE ~*~*~
       (  / \" /
        \(_  \(_