From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2007 02:18:33 -0400
>The vet told me with surgery he could live 6mo-2yrs; without, 1 year.
>If this were a cure for insulinoma, I'd be more likely to take the
>chance. But we all know it is not a cure. And he'll end up just as
>he is now--back on meds and not doing so well.

Back when Dr. Hanan Caine (the best veterinary surgeon Steve or I have
ever known in our lives) was still in New Jersey we had a couple of
ferrets whose insulinoma was spotted very early and surgery done early,
with very careful use of the surgical microscope and touch to remove
every little sand-grain like insulinoma. It WAS curative.

Notice this expert post which was based on carefully collected data:

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YG8153

>Here is the way that I usually approach this issue. Yes, 40% of
>insulinomas recur in about 10 months or so. However that leaves
>about a 60% cure rate.
>
>Now if we assume that one month in a ferret's life equals about one
>year in a human's life, let's make an analogy with you (nothing like
>getting personal). If someone told you that you had a tumor, and
>removing it surgically would ensure you a minimum of six years tumor-
>free life, more likely ten years, and there would be a 60% chance
>that you would never be bothered by it again, what would YOU do?
>
>Additionally, when combined with partial pancreatectomy, the average
>tumor-free interval jumps to about 12 months (published paper I wrote
>with Charlie Weiss years ago in JAAHA.)
>
>With kindest regards,
>
>Bruce Williams, DVM

I don't know how the myth that insulinoma surgery can't cure began
but we HAVE seen it cure.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: