From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 1994 10:57:26 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 16 of LOTS ***

4.7> Can I teach my ferret tricks?  How?

[begin PG]
Yes, ferrets are plenty smart enough to learn to sit up, turn around,
roll over, stay on your shoulders or in a hood, and perhaps even walk
on a leash.  To train your ferret to stay on your shoulders, for
instance, stand over a pile or basket of crumpled newspaper, and when
she falls into it, shout, "No!"  The combination of the fall, the
noise, and your shout should persuade her to pay more attention to
staying on.  Give her a treat when she does, and she should learn
quickly.

The trick to all of these is getting your pet's attention while you
teach her.  Don't try teaching tricks, or even trying to get a ferret
to perform, in an unexplored area -- it's nearly futile.  One idea for
getting your ferret's attention is to take away her food at night,
then teach the trick first thing in the morning, using breakfast as a
reward.  Don't take away the water, though; with their fast metabolisms,
ferrets can get dehydrated quickly.

Unlike dogs, ferrets generally won't do a trick for the sheer joy of
it, or simply to please you.  Usually there must be some kind of
reward expected, though that could be anything from a lick of
Ferretone to a bite of apple to a good head-scratching.

4.8> Do ferrets travel well?

[begin PG]
Around town: Ferrets love going places.  You can fix up a shoulder bag
with a litter pan and space for a water bottle and food dish and carry
them with you wherever they're welcome.

Automobile travel: Car trips don't seem to bother ferrets, although
being closed up in a travel cage may irritate them -- and you, as they
scratch incessantly to get out.  Keeping them loose in the car is not
recommended, since they could get under the driver's feet or through
some undetected hole into the engine compartment or onto the road.
Since water dishes and bottles don't work well in a bouncy car,
remember to stop and give them a chance to drink every hour or two.

Airplane travel: Some airlines allow ferrets on board their planes, in
under-seat cat carriers.  There's almost always an additional charge.
Sending your ferret in the cargo area is not generally recommended,
largely due to problems people have had with temperature, pressure and
general handling of pets who travel this way.  Several people have
been able to sneak their ferrets aboard aircraft by taking them
through the security checks hidden in bulky coats, then transferring
them to a duffel bag in a restroom, but I have no experience with
that.

Hotels: Many hotels allow pets in cages, although it's a good idea to
call ahead and make sure.

Legality: You should also check with the Wildlife Departments of any
areas you'll be passing through or staying in to make sure that
ferrets are allowed, and carry documentation of the vaccines your pets
have had, just in case.

5. *** Things ferrets say and do ***

5.1> Ferrets don't purr, so how do I know if mine likes something?

[begin MW]
If he spends more than a few minutes playing with it (toys), if he
"demands" another bite or grabs it from you (food), if he sits still
for more than a few seconds (petting).  Our ferrets have favorite
toys, favorite foods and favorite scratching places.  Our ferrets
"chuckle" when they are having fun.