Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 11:15:30 -0500
It won't be long till buying time for the ferrets on the giving tree.
In anticipation we can start purchasing items now. Many of the items
asked for are typically what we give our own ferrets. I shop the dollar
stores for safe toys and baby blankets and Walmart carries 88 cent dog
and cat toys that are strategically placed in boxes on the shelves by
the registers. Favorites at our house is the soft cloth flying saucer
dog toy - no squeaker inside, and the rope toys - no loops. My last
trip to Walmart I saw fleece lap blankets (by the check-out) for $3.88!
Whenever I'm in the stores I check out the sales aisles and the baby
aisles for items that will work for ferrets. When sending gifts you
can always send more than what is asked for!

Other ideas would be gift certificates to on-line pet stores for items
lower priced than what will be found at the local pet stores. There are
several that offer a low shipping rate and some offer free shipping
with a certain amount purchase.

And for anyone shopping on-line, if you shop the iGive.com stores, the
charity you choose earns a percentage of the sale.

Or maybe you'd like to make a payment to their vet account.

Also remember the caretakers too. They might like a ferret calendar and
if you purchase the ferrets of the fml calendar or buy calendars sold
by ferret clubs and shelters you donate twice! Or maybe they'd like a
ferrety trinket, or something warm to drink, or a snack to eat. Maybe
they'd like that lap blanket at Walmart for $3.88! Or the flameless
scented candles that are out on the market now.

Don't forget other ways to give, such as donating a few hours, a day
or more helping to take care of ferrets at a shelter or sanctuary,
ferret-sitting for an evening while the caretaker(s) go out for a
nice meal, or adopting a ferret from a shelter. Maybe the shelter or
sanctuary has older ferrets that just need someone to sit and hold them
for awhile. The gift of gentle caressing and cuddling can mean so very
much to a ferrets.

Another idea would be to contact your local schools and see if the
teachers would like to offer the children a chance to help the ferrets
on the giving trees too. An entire class can choose a ferret or two and
send package or some in the class may want to spend a few hours helping
out at the shelter.

Anyone else have some ideas? Please post if you do!

Let's make this season a very loving time of year.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org