From:
Tracy & Aaron McAlpine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 19:18:45 -0500
Lynne, I'll give you my opinions & hopefully they will help you to have a
safe & happy ferret home in the future.  First off, you asked about cages.
I suggest buying or making the biggest cage possible & keep it inside.  I
have connected 3 cages, so my girls are comfortable & have lots of room
between their food bowl & litter box.  We keep them in the cage when we are
not home & when we are asleep.  Too, a cage is great if you have anyone over
that you cannot trust around the ferrets or for when you may need to have a
door open for a period of time (such as when we had to make multiple trips
to carry in an unassembled computer desk).  As far as the rest of the house,
make sure they cannot get under or beside the dishwasher, stove,
refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc.  You make need to nail or screw pieces of
wood in place.  Do not have a recliner in the house.  You mentioned a couch
tragedy.  When we went couch shopping, we looked for one that had a skirt so
they wouldn't have to dig to get under it.  We examined the bottom of the
couch & made sure they could not get up inside the couch.  Hope this helps.

I have really enjoyed reading the happy shelter stories.  Keep them up!

I have been spreading the wonderful HSUS news all over the place!  Thanks to
all who made this possible!

Dayna, I hope both you & the footless wonder are doing well!  I'm so happy
he has someone as wonderful as yourself to take care of him!  Please keep us
updated!

I would just like to take the time & space to say this mailing list is
wonderful!  It's great to hear from other ferret freaks & to hear funny
stories, & to know you're not the only one who may have a certain
situation - such as adrenal tumors, or separate ferret zones.  I look
forward to reading each post everyday.

Tracy & the girls -
Pinky, Jasmine, Shadow, & Bear