From:
Richard G Ardern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:59:12 +1200
I'm a university student (28) and the ADRENAL QUESTION has a lot of people
up in arms about various claims , So in stage 1 statistics we are taught
about various things

1) OUTLIERS ,this may mean that "most" cases of adrenal come from "bad or
neglectful" homes with a few that come from really "nice" homes and some
may never get adrenal even in the worst conditions.  Statistics is about
trends not individuals .

2) OUTSIDE FACTORS ,this means that some apparently totally irrelevant
seeming issue may be the problem (DOES ANYONE REMEMBER FORMALIN (?)
POISONING FROM FLOORING MATERIAL IN THE 70'S ) it may be that the paint
being used is the cause, or the flooring, or the food ,or anything at all
that I can't even dream of .Maybe even genetic?

3) TRENDS ,these are what people are after in statistics nothing is
certain as my lecturer used to say ,citing apparent diet causes that were
environmental.

GIVING information is useful to prove a trend supposition wrong ,But
jumping up and down about what may be outliers is not really helpful, A
lot of ferrets and people have suffered because of adrenal and anything
someone asks is not meant to insult or imply lack of care but to gain
information to STOP OR DECREASE THE SUFFERING BY ALL involved.  FINDING
ANY TREND OR LACK OF IS HELPFUL IN GAINING INFORMATION.

GOOD HEALTH TO ALL FERRETS
RICHARD ARDERN