From:
Mary Segalla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2014 11:19:58 -0400
The biggest thing about a front loading HE washer is the directions say
to leave the door open when not in use to air it out and prevent mold.
One of my ferrets got a complete blockage by eating a piece of the
rubber gasket around the door of my front loading washer. I never
realized he could jump that high, but jump he did. When he got sick
and my vet opened him up, there was a chunk (not sure how or why he
swallowed such a huge chunk, the size of a pencil eraser) lodged in the
spot leaving his stomach and entering his intestines. I would have lost
him had I not rushed him in. It took me a couple weeks to figure out
where that piece of rubber had come from (I had it in a baggie and
searched my house). Suddenly I noticed when my arm brushed the rubber
gasket that it felt ragged, and then saw a chunk had been bitten out.
So please - KEEP THOSE DOORS CLOSED!

As for how it washes, HE washers are much slower than those with
agitators but I love the job it does and it keeps the bedding nicer
longer, it's much easier on fabric because there is no agitator. I
always remove a wad of ferret fur when done washing bedding. I dry my
bedding on low and always get much more fur in the lint holder of the
dryer. Using vinegar helps I think, and I sometimes use Sun and Earth
Fabric Softener, it's safe, smells nice and removes the static cling,
and seems to pull more hair off the bedding than when I don't use it.

I will never have a washer with an agitator again.

Mary in Virginia