From:
Caroline Worrall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 09:30:00 -0700
Evan Peter Cordes:  In answer to your question about biting in fear,
I have an example with my own ferret Sarah.  About two years ago, Sarah
snuck out the door and wandered into the neighbor's yard.  The neighbor
has a *big* Malamute.  The dog grabbed her and she screamed.  Luckily,
I was out looking for her and heard it and the neighbor heard it also.
He got her away from the dog, but when I picked her up, I must have
touched a sore spot because she bit my finger really hard.  However, as
soon as she realized it was me, she let go immediately.  To complete the
story, I rushed her to the vet, who stitched up a little hole in her
abdomen and she's now fine, no worse for wear except a little scar on
her tummy.  I found out a few days later from the dog owner that she had
also taken a chunk out of the dog's nose.  This is the only time she has
ever broken skin.  Unless severely provoked, I don't think that she would
ever bite again.

The only other time I've really seen her scared was when she was a kit
and I came around the corner really fast and surprised her.  She barked
at me, but that was all.  However, I'm not sure if that's necessarily a
fear noise because I've heard her bark at the bag of cat food if she
can't find a way in.

Caroline (Sarah's well-trained pet)