From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 11:28:57 -0400
Yes, 'Chopper the Organic Helicopter also had GI symptoms --loose stools,
trouble absorbing food, and when her hypertrophic cardiomyopathy was found
and treated they largely WENT AWAY (except for periodic bouts of
helicobacter flare-ups).  Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, with the thickened
heart muscle rather than the more typical flabbier heart is not considered
at all the typical form of cardiomyopathy for ferrets, but then again, how
many ferrets which die of unknown causes or have diagnoses of possible
causes with actual cause not being nailed down ever have necropsies and
pathology to be certain?

NECROPSIES AND PATHOLOGY WORK SAVE LIVES!  That may not sound logical since
an animal already being lost is involved in the first and sometimes in the
second, but it's true.  Why?  Because weird things like GI symptoms for an
unusual form of cardiomyopathy may be noticed so it can be kept in the
backs of peoples' minds for that rare case so that the chest is checked in
an ultrasound or x-ray.  Because the dead animal may have had something
contagious which is simmering quietly in others and could be treated-for
before any others die; or because a living one may have such an illness and
others may be infected.  Because an animal which is alive and has received
an operation might have the treatment plan changed if a certain type of
tumor is found.  Because prognoses change with different types of growths.
Because a vet who is not used to ferrets can learn about the structure in a
necropsy from an animal which can't be hurt rather than learning on a
living one.

We spend a lot on vet costs and you know what?  They are probably the best
bargains we get in this world because they save lives we love and they add
quality of life and quantity of life when possible for those we love.
(Plus, they sure are less expensive than human medical care even for the
same procedures, right?) We figure that we also have an obligation when
possible to make sure that such fine professionals have a chance to look
more intensely at something; we've got absolutely incredible vets at the
Basking Ridge Animal Hospital (That's an understatement.) and because of
that they accept learning opportunities when they actually arise.  (Can't
help but feel good about folks who value learning.) It also gives us peace
of mind when there is any question and the questions can be answered
finally because we know then how better to keep the others safe.

Does this mean that your ferret with GI symptoms has a heart disease.  No,
very probably not, but if you have one which just plain doesn't get better
when the more likely things are tackled it sure couldn't hurt to check the
chest, too, based only on this sample of two, and on your love and concern.