From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:24:46 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Mike Graham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sick ferret of a friend, please help /w info for him
>Could someone try to help this person out, his fuzzy seems to be in bad
>shape and he asked me to foward this to the list.

The nose bleeding has me concerned.  That along with his listlessness may
indicate some type of clotting/red blood cell disorder.  Have your vet check
the fert out and closely look at a complete blood count along with a
platelet count.

>From:    Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet Question - Hormone therapy to combat adrenal disease
>In discussing the flood of adrenal patients which are entering the shelters

At this time, too many hormones, too little data to be able to accurately
dose and maintain the ferret in hopes of preventing the occurrence of
adrenal disease.

>From:    Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Harvey is losing hair
>I just spent megabucks today on vets.  One for our regular vet, which
>probably will not be anymore after today, and one for a new vet, which will
>probably not be a repeat, either, though she was nice.

Top of the list (by far) is adrenal disease.  Classic symptoms.  Check out
the FAQ on it.  Surgery is the recommended option.

>From:    Brian Canals <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Penny isn't cute bald, FOG, Barrett

Sounds more like blackheads than ringworm.  If they look like blackheads,
use a nontoxic benzoyl peroxide cream (such as Oxydex - available at vets).

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA