From:
Tamilyn Frey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:37:50 -0600
Hi all.  I have read with great interest and enthusiasm and empathy that
which is written within for almost a year without writing (a lurker, I
guess).  As many before me have said, now I write with a problem.

We have (had) two wonderful furry family members, Rosie (little female
silver mitt) and Otter ("the big boy," a huge albino).  No problems beyond
potty training and that stealing thing (Rosie passionate for potatoes and
Otter for shoes) until recently.

Both ferrets have been allowed outside supervised and both have snuck out
once or twice and returned.  We live in the woods in northern Wisconsin,
surrounded by almost 700 acres of woods and farmland.  Our neighbors
include a lake, eagles, hawks, bear, foxes, coyotes, wolves, fishers...
perhaps you see where I am going with this.

Nearly two weeks ago, after five days of babysitting by a caring relative,
Otter slipped out the door (at least we think he did) and has not returned.
Rosie was lonely, pretty quiet for a few days, but has since returned to
her wonderful, bouncy, lovely, kissy self.  My husband, children and I have
taken the golden retriever, Kristah, (pal and self-appointed protector of
all who reside in our household, including the ferrets) and searched the
woods around our house many times... no Otter.  We put his food, bedding
and litter box outside near the door to which he has always returned in
the past... no Otter.

My seven year old, Emma, has decided that Otter has fallen in love with a
lovely albino weasel and moved in with her family in the woods.

We miss out bouncy "wild boy" and would love to hear him scratching at
the door, but honestly, how long can a white ferret survive in northern
Wisconsin woods in the fall/winter?  It snowed last night... pretty chilly,
but he'd blend in at least.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had one of those clowns in fur
disappear for this long... and return?  Is it time to stop listening for
him and prepare his place in our memories?

Tamilyn (and Pete, Emma, Benjamin, Kristah and Rosie...)