From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:37:37 EST
I'm sort of good at putting this definition in a concise and easy to
understand way for people who can't or don't want to get into the
technical aspects of it.

First think of AIDS in people.  Do this, not because ADV is AIDS, but
because if you first get that idea and feeling for how AIDS works then
you can jump into what ADV is in ferrets.  The way both diseases work,
sort of parallels each other (now hush all you experts, I'm explaining
this so a beginner can understand ... so "spppplllllt" to the technical
stuff for right now).  Quite simply put, Aleutian Disease (AD or ADV) is
a contagious viral (parvovirus) disease in ferrets.  It is deadly.

How common or not common is it and should you worry about it?  Nnnt....
you had to ask.  Now comes the controversy.  Some fear that it is lurking
around each corner.  Some feel it is rare ... heck there are a select few
that are in denial over its very existence, but we won't go there.  Like
AIDS, you shouldn't have to live in paranoid fear that it will "come get
you".  But like AIDS, you should take some precautions.  You should be
educated and be aware of the disease in order to help prevent it's spread
(to you).  The best approach is education, precaution (proaction), and
keeping a level head about it all.

First, why don't you scan this webpage that has the ADV definition in
it ... because education is the first step.
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/adv-straight.html
It wont' take up but a few seconds of you time to scan this page.

The one thing that is lacking on my site are signs and symptoms.  That is
because when it was written, I was led to believe that many ferret showed
little to no signs of ADV (until it was so advanced other secondary
infections killed the ferret or target organs failed..  which it could
be any organ) I had thought the only symptoms of clinical ADV were weight
loss, energy loss, and possible hind end weakness.... that is until
target organs were more affected.  It seems now that chronic coughing
and being generally "unwell" can be a sign also.

Next testing is very important.  Testing your ferret so that you are
better able to access the situation.  Suppose your ferret is negative.
What then?  Well, then if you were to take any action that would be to
take precautions, such as making sure your ferret does not walk in an
area that did or does contain other ferrets of which you don't know their
ADV status.  Don't let other ferrets come into your home that you don't
know of their ADV status.  Make sure that you don't hold strange ferrets,
or if you walk in an area where other ferrets have been who have not been
tested ... know that you can carry that disease home if it is lurking.

Suppose your ferret is positive.  Well, things get very complicated from
there on in.  That is when you move on from me, to someone who is an
expert such as Dr. Williams, Dr. Burgess, Dr. Purcell, Judy Gronwald,
Danee Davore, and a whole host of others.  That is when you also should
seek support from others that are going through it or have gone through
it..  and sadly there are plenty of those people.

Okay... I'm tired, and I know I did a bad job here folks... I'm sorry.
Hopefully that was a short and sweet explanation to get beginners going
on the road to understanding ADV in ferrets.  I'm sure others that are
very knowledgeable of this disease will post and give you a better
picture, and a more accurate explanation.  But at least I gave you an
intro and food for thought.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/