Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 13:36:59 +0100
I could never ever feed live animals and here in the UK it is illegal to
feed live mammals (vertebrates) to other animals.  I don't see the need
to feed live animals, ferrets get the same nutrition from a killed animal
as a live one.  And it is so unfair to lock a mouse in with ferrets where
the mouse has no chance of survival, that has nothing to do with nature
as it happens in a controlled, artificial environment.  On another list
I'm on there was a thread recently about some people feeding live chicks.
I can't even express how horrendous I find this live feeding.

But (to Deb)... Ferrets are obligate carnivores and *will* eat meat.
Whether it is chicken meal in dry food or fresh chicken and cooked
chicken or other meats, one way or another ferret will consume meat (and
bones etc.).

And to Tyler.  I agree, feeding pre killed animals is okay.  I do feed
frozen chicks every now and again and have even bought frozen mice but I
am finding it very difficult to feed mice.  Chicks are killed regardless
of whether they will be fed or not.  They're a by-product of the chicken
industry and they don't want the cockerels so they are killed.  So I
personally am finding it okay to feed them.  But mice and other mammals
will be bred specifically to be fed so I'm finding it a bit harder.

Ulrike