From:
"Viki S. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:21:25 -0500
I recently de-lurked on the ferret newsgroup in an attempt to gather any
information on ferret reactions to rabies and distemper vaccinations given
simultaneously.  David Caudill was sweet enough to repost the message here
on the FML, where I received even more support and advice than I could have
imagined.  I regret to report that it came too late.  After fighting
valiantly for nearly 16 hours, Sebastian passed over the rainbow bridge at
1:30 Wednesday morning.  My vet was very sweet by staying with him all night
and holding him during his final moments.  There is some small comfort in
the knowledge that Sebastian was not alone when he passed away; I only wish
I had been the one holding him.

I want to thank all of you who wrote to me and expressed your sympathy and
well wishes.  My vet performed an autopsy in hopes of contributing to the
solution to the problem of potential reactions in ferrets.  At this point,
I'm not ruling out the probability that Sebastian might have been much older
than I had originally estimated.  At any rate, I will be delivering all
numbers and information offered by FMLers to my vet.  I will also provide
autopsy results here on the FML for those who have expressed an interest.

I just want to express very quickly that Sebastian's case is unique.  Always
consult with your vet and know the facts about vaccinations and potential
reactions, but don't neglect the vaccinations because of my experience.  My
loss of Sebastian is terrible, but I would hate to think that someone might
lose a beloved furry to such a horrible and painful disease as distemper.

And one final thing: I feel I must testify before the masses about a special
experience with ferrets.  The reason I held Sebastian so dear was not only
because he was the sweetest, wackiest, most adorable ferret ever (don't we
all say it), but quite the accomplished matchmaker.  My boyfriend and I were
separated (but still very good friends) at the time I received Sebastian
from friends who could no longer keep him.  Don had never had a pet before,
but had heard me sing lofty praises of the little fuzzballs the entire time
we knew each other.  His curiosity and eventual infatuation with Sebastian
kept him coming over.  Funny how his social life was suddenly reduced to
weekends with an aspiring computer geekette and a hyperkinetic stink bomb
(you figure out which was which).

As time went on and I changed apartments and jobs, Sebastian would
occasionally find himself in a second home at Don's apartment.  The two
bonded very closely and I was even bitten by the jealousy bug on a few
occasions.  Despite separate apartments and a strange weekend relationship,
we formed a family.  In February I accepted a promising career opportunity
in the suburbs of Chicago, closer to my two boys.  I had high hopes of
having it all.  This past Monday, it all began to tumble around me as Don
informed me that he had accepted an opportunity in Florida.  Though he
wanted me to go with him, he knew that I had started down a career path that
he wanted for me as much as I wanted for myself.  He told me he might be
leaving as soon as the end of the week.  Don is my dearest, closest friend
first and foremost...always has been.  But I had my career, my friends...and
most of all, Sebastian.

Tuesday morning, that all changed when Sebastian went into a coma.  Don and
I both called periodically and cried together.  When the vet called early
Wednesday morning, it was Don who cried with me at the unfairness of it all.

And it was Don who drove nearly 8 hours round trip with me to bury Sebastian
under a lilac tree in the backyard of my parents' home, where we stood again
and wept at the loss of our little boy.  On the way home, I knew I'd already
lost one dear, dear friend and realized that sometimes we forget where our
priorities should lie.  So on a long drive home, I agreed to go with Don,
live in Florida, fill the house with fuzzies and laughter and maybe even the
pitter patter of little biped feet.

The dictionary defines fairies and pixies as being tiny imaginary beings in
human form, often playfully mischievous, clever and magical.  I think they
were wrong about two things: imaginary and human form.

Viki S. Rollins
Manager - Network Services
Though not for long...