From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 1997 08:02:26 -0400
Someone asked where a new ferret owner would hear about the AFA etc.  Myself
and a friend donated D.  Jeans book to our library.  I think they also have
Morton's book.  I'm about to donate a couple of books on Dog Rescue that
lists all the breed dog rescue organizations in the back.  The library is
one of the first places I'll go when looking for information, like when I
was researching getting a dog.  Of course now I use the computer extensively
too.  Maybe if your done with a good ferret book you could donate it?  Also
give your names to your vet as a contact as sometimes people will call their
vet with questions when considering a new pet.

Since Sterling wrote about how their different pets get along I'll add what
I have experienced just for the sake of additional information.  I finally
did get a dog.  The dog doesn't really like them and they don't like the
dog.  Actually I think their pretty smart since the dog doesn't really like
them.  I always feel like I'm on pins and needles.  Of course they got off
to a bad start as Giesela was very jealous and territorial from the get go
and was pretty hateful to the dog.  Boris was just scared.  Giesela, who is
also scared but no quitter still stalks the dog a little and likes to try to
nibble his feet (this is not very smart!) but at least she's quit launching
herself at his face like a hissing cobra.  Some friends of mine had a bird
(Sun Conure) killed by a ferret so it would pay to be careful here till you
see how things are going.  I brought a kitten home once but took it back
because Giesela was doing her mean this is my house thing.  It might have
worked out but I couldn't deal with it at the time.  I've never heard of a
ferret quite so territorial as Giesela.  She actually got in the pet taxi
the kitten had been in and laid there giving the kitten, this is mine hate
glares.  She also backs the dog into his crate and lays around in it when
he's not there.

Porch stories: Ok I know I'll get flamed for this.  I have trouble denying
my ferrets things even when I know its wrong.  I spent considerable money
putting up a double screen on my back porch to make sure they couldn't get
out.  They love it.  They particularly love getting behind the long cement
stairs that don't back up to the house quite flush - leaving a little gap
they can get into.  This made me uncomfortable since I'd never be able to
get an injured/sick ferret out.  I squeak them out when I have to and so far
no problems.  I was however getting ready to hire someone to break them up
and build wood ones when I realized the stairs are in front of a basement
window.  So down comes the window, cut a hole in the screen (couldn't get
the screen out).  Theres a window well then the porch floor.  I pulled out:
roughly 50 pairs of socks (I told you I can't deny them and have just kept
buying more), 3 dishtowels, several toys, 2 hotdog buns, 1 english muffin, 3
slippers, 5 garden gloves, 1 bike glove and 2 drink coasters.  I had this
huge pile on the basement floor!  I spent most of an afternoon matching the
washed socks.  Poor Boris was heartbroken.  But I gave him the worn socks
back and the cut offs from some sweats to make him feel better.  And now I
feel better that I know I can get under there in an emergency.

Dooks to all
Mary, Boris and Giesela
P.S.  Why would anyone send hate mail at all much less to Robert Jacobs?