From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:18:04 -0500
Fecal consistency is derived from action of the colon, not the owner.

Moistening the food impacts only on its presentation in the oral cavity.
In the oral cavity, kibble is normally pulverized and mixed with saliva.
In the stomach and intestine, these particles are further digested to form
a slurry, and when it hits the large intestine, it is primarily colored
water.  The colon reabsorbs the water to compress the ingesta to a point
where it form normal fecal matter.  Thus, pre-moistened food is of no
import when we are discussing diseases of the colon and rectum.

Yes, at 6-7 weeks, it is past time for her to be on kibble.  However, it
is not likely that wet or dry food will have a profound influence on the
prolapse.  The prolapse will actually be worsened by the passage of a soft
liquidy stool, as there is nothing for the rectum to push against, so it
will keep straining until it pushes itself out again.

I would certainly recommend a fecal sample in this kit, as well as a bit of
investigative work to find out what it was eating prior to arriving in your
home.  Parasites and diet changes are probably the most common causes of
diarrhea in kits.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at