From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:45:49 -0500
I wanted to pass on some good news and some good news!!

I run the shelter in Weatherford, TX and I called on Toby when I read the
post.  It took a few days to get to talk to a real person but on Saturday I
learned that the Leslie's (Toby's owner's) were swamped with calls and
e-mails about Toby, some even from out of state.  They narrowed the
possibilities down and eventually let Toby go home with Val McNeil from
Austin who reads and posts here on the FML.  So Val, how about an update on
Toby?

I e-mailed Val Saturday evening and she said Toby was doing well but haven't
heard how the introductions went, she brought two with her when she picked
Toby up and that went okay but I think she has several other ferrets, too.
We sure need lots more people like Val!!

Toby is one of the lucky ones.  Running a shelter I see alot of un-loved,
tossed out, and neglected ferrets who's owners did not care enough to take
the time to find a proper home for the ferret like Toby's owners did.  In
truth, they are still lucky if they end up here at all because it is a new
beginning for them.  They get medical care, excellent food, soft snuggly
bedding, fun playmates, lots of love, exercise, and attention, and they WILL
NOT be adopted out unless I find just the right loving and caring
environment for them.

Sam, here now, was found wandering the streets of Las Vegas.  Festus, here
now, was found wandering an apartment complex in Lewisville.  Christopher,
adopted, was found hiding under a deck and dodging three large dogs in
someone's backyard in Dallas for a week until the man could catch him and
then he called me to help.  It is only the extremely smart or the extremely
lucky that survive more than a day or so on their own outside.  It is very
sad.

There is a great need for ferret shelters, no matter where you are.  We need
half-way houses, too, for ferrets that are in areas where there is no ferret
shelter, to hold them until the closest ferret shelter can pick them up.  I
have sort of a branch shelter in Carlsbad, NM who visits family in this area
regularly and the lady, Eydie, brings me the ferrets she 'collects' in her
area needing new homes.  It is wonderful!!  I am expecting two from her in a
few weeks, that is, if Carla in El Paso does not decide to take them.  It is
ironic, I operate the shelter, but I may adopt these two out before I even
get to see them.  I wish that happened every day, there are just too many
homeless ferrets out there.

Let me encourage everyone considering another ferret to consider a shelter
ferret.  If you are skeptical about a shelter ferret, just go and "look" at
them.  Whether you adopt one or not, I promise you will learn alot.  They
are sweet and loving and in great need of love and good care.  They are up
on their shots, already potty trained (usually), they are socialized, and
already accustomed to a schedule.

If you cannot adopt another ferret, or do not have the space to hold a few
as a half-way house, perhaps you could sponsor a ferret at a shelter that
needs extensive medical care.  I have ferrets here with medical bills that
far exceed what they could ever be adopted for and most shelters (like me)
simply cannot support these guys all on their own.  We provide the love, the
care, scoop the poop, do their laundry, wash their dishes and litter pans,
buy their food and litter, chauffer them to their vet appointments, and sit
up with them when they are sick, and I am sure all the others are like me
and they just LOVE what they do, poop and all, but the financial strain is
the REAL KILLER.

For the second piece of good news, do you remember a post several weeks ago
about a lost ferret in Dallas?  Well, I have learned that he was found in a
lady's laundry room after being lost for several days and then was returned
to his owners, so that one had a happy ending, too.  Ferrets usually do not
survive long outdoors for many reasons.

So, here we have two great reasons for celebration!!!  How about a ferret
party, folks?

Kisses to all the fuzzies.  --Trish