From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 21:08:59 -0300
Hi Tammy,

I have 9 personal ferrets and varying numbers of fosters at any given
time. I was one of the first people to order a Tower of Fun, had it
shipped to Nova Scotia, Canada.

A couple took to it right away. Several warmed to it slowly. They all
now love it! Do they use it every day? No, but then they don't all use
the tubes every day either. When they do use it some go nuts. A few
only ever go half-way up, and then back down, some do the whole circuit
at lightening speed. It varies depending on their mood and interest on
a particular day.

Even Carissima, my DMK rescue with the deformed paw used it before
she tried venturing into a regular tube. She has a pronounced limp.
The Tower of Fun was somehow less imposing for her. She ran after her
sisters one day and followed them into the Tower of Fun and that was
it! She was hooked and goes in on her own now and does the full
circuit. It gave her the confidence to explore other possibilities.
That alone has been worth having it.

I would never get rid of it anymore than I'd pack up the tubes. It is
fabulous exercise for them. My chubby boy lost weight by regularly
working out in it. He was one of the ones who warmed slowly to it but
once he got the hang of it - he loved it. He used to sit at the mouth
and wait and watch but eventually went in for himself. And I have one
senior girl who goes in only occasionally, only half-way. But hey she
is not easily impressed. The fact she explores it at all is a testimony
to its worthiness (in ferret terms ; ). Another one who likes to stash
her treasures in it.

I find the same things with the tubes or any of their other toys. I
have never had a ferret that consistently engages in the same activity
on a daily basis. It usually takes one to feel excited by it and then
the rest think it's the most awesome toy in existence. I sometimes
move its location, which is really easy to do because it is light but
sturdy. And that becomes a novel new toy in a different area.

I don't think you have to encourage them to use it they'll use it on
their own, as with all things ferret, when the mood hits.

Tressie

Chair
Ferret Lovers Society of Atlantic Canada
http://www.flsatlanticcanada.org/